Saturday, May 31, 2014

Changing Bird Pictures for Prime Minister Photo

So today was a bit of a let down. The ND camera crew had no interest in talking to the students, and the prime minister never showed, but that's life I suppose. Shame I couldn't get an opportunity to help the dean sell ND via video, but if his crew wasn't interested, fine by me. They got some great shots with Professor Hernandez and he really put on a fantastic display for them, so I'm pleased that all his hard work is paying off and he's able to produce the quality of product he's been working towards all this time.

We have the party tonight and I'm a little nervous. I used to be really shy growing up (hard to believe, but it's true), and I don't do so hot at parties. Walking up to someone and striking up a conversation is tough for me, and so parties aren't my scene. It'll be good practice tonight and I need to get better as the time comes for me to leave the safety of Albania and start promoting myself in Italy. We shall see.

Since I haven't posted a picture in a while, here's one of more nature. These birds have literally gone from white fluff to full grown in the time we've been here, and they live in the men's bathroom. Yesterday I walked in and they looked almost ready to leave the nest, so I snapped a photo. Today they had left the nest for good, so I'm glad I got a photo. When ever I walked into the bathroom, they would give me this look as if to say "what the hell are you doing here" as if they were in their proper nesting place. Good luck little birds!


2 comments:

  1. Love the birds' photo - from the men's room! As for the social scene, be yourself (maybe a little more reserved initially :)) and realize that everyone else is also trying to "break the ice." Kudos to Prof. Hernandez for leading this amazing project. Any chance of more photos of the site, now that the birds have flown the coop? People who want to know more should Google Butrint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette and I enjoy your adventures in Albania and it is good to see the country and try to understand their customs. I think you will find the customs very different in each country you are able to visit.

    I thought the country of Albania was predominantly Muslim by faith so I would not be too surprise by the lack of a priest there every Sunday. I was surprised when you mentioned pork at one of your meals because I thought it was against the Muslim faith. I will note that our parish's sister parish in Honduras has 81 churches supported by 2 priests in a predominantly Catholic country so they do not have a priest at every church every Sunday either.

    Enjoy yourself and be an observer of life and how people interact. It is better to see what you are getting into.

    ReplyDelete