Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pictures of the Site and Conditions

Sorry for not posting yesterday. I only have internet at the local tavern, and the bartender kicked me out before I could post. This is primarily going to be a picture post, but I thought I would share our daily routine.

7:30-Wake up and Breakfast
8:00- Arrive at site
12:30-Lunch at site
5:30-Leave Site
7:00- dinner
9:00-hang out time

With each job comes new challenges. I'm living a pretty fancy lifestyle right now, but archaeology is quite a bit different from what Indiana Jones does. Yesterday and today I was charged with sorting the various crates of pottery we have. I was given a team of five Albanians to do so, and we proceeded to haul these 50 pound crates of pottery and organize them by specific numbers. In the process, we wound up getting covered in snake and rat poison (two years ago there was a 5 foot poisonous snake found in our outdoor shed, so the locals covered everything with snake poison), reaching into bags covered with rat excrement and shaking off spiders, centipedes and many other bugs I don't recognize. There are some days when it's fun in the sun in Albania, but this job is definitely messier and more dangerous than working at Hannaford in the summer. Not complaining, just letting you all know what kind of work we're doing. Would not trade this for the world. The rest of this post is pictures of the site.






2 comments:

  1. Snakes and spiders and rats - oh my! Hope you are washing your hands and arms frequently. Love the pictures. By the way your brother's day starts around 2:30 in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely site! Looking forward to more pictures of the excavations which revealed community life there over a span of 2700 years, right? Be careful and wash attentively; poison residue isn't something to fool around with!

    ReplyDelete