Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Museums- Nemi, Gabii, and Praeneste

Today we went to several museums/ruins in three different towns. They were kinda cool, but I wasn't awestruck. Nemi was a ruinous temple near a beautiful lake, not a whole lot left except fields. In a museum build by Mussolini are two models of two huge ships that were brought up from the bottom of the lake. Nothing remains but reconstructions and miniatures, courtesy of WW2.  Gabii is an ancient settlement with a long back story, but the archaeology pails in comparison to Butrint (I've been spoiled on this one) and Praeneste is a medieval town with a huge museum and theater on top of a hill, which I hadn't seen before, except a variation in Siena, one of my favorite towns in all of Italy. The museum did have the Nile mosaic, which is the coolest mosaic I've seen yet and one of the highlights of the trip so far. I'm going to have to work on not comparing sites and trying to get something out of each of them. Here are some photos, to make up for the lackluster review of the sites.

2 comments:

  1. Having been on the Nile, the mosaic brings home some memories. Thanks for the photo.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you may have to consider the whole area for its impact rather than the individual sites whose "treasures" may not appear that significant.

    ReplyDelete