Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Piece of Pisa

When last we spoke, I had spent all day Saturday in Florence. I got up at 5:45 on Sunday, left for the train station around 6, stopped by Mcdonalds for a quick breakfast (it was the only thing open at that time, don't judge) and then got to the train station for a 7 am train to Pisa. Got to Pisa around 7:45, and headed for the tower, which opened at 8:30. Here's some photos:
Baptistery, Basilica, Tower


Wild rhino appears. Don't remember there being one of those in the Gospels, but they felt it necessary to add to the door

Not sure if I love or loath the googly eyes on Mary
The Tower
Giant blue head in the museum at Pisa. I was in a hurry, so I didn't read who, what, or why this thing is
Pisa was kind of nice, even though everyone complains about it. I didn't climb the tower, but I've taken a very lazy approach to climbing towers these days. Every city has at least one tower/church/hill/fort/staircase that "you have to climb." Florence had three. I climbed the one with the best view, and chose to spend my time doing other things. The tower of Pisa is not tall, let me just dispel that rumor. It's a short structure, which surprised me, but it offered no view, I was carrying my backpack, and was short on time, so I didn't climb it. I then walked back to the train station and saw some not touristy stuff.
I could be friends with the driver of this car

I've never seen a European dress like this. Just saying
Vittorio Emmanuele, a national hero
So I've decided to stretch this one step farther and give Siena it's own post tomorrow. Soccer yesterday went poorly. I let in four goals, two of which were my own foolishness. I'm a little rusty, but will keep working at getting better. We only scored one (technically two, but one was an own goal), but you're not going to win many games if you let in four goals. There's always next week. Have a great evening!

4 comments:

  1. We are enjoying the pictures. What a great experience this is for you. Sorry about the soccer, but you did better than Brazil today.
    Jeanette and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you missed an opportunity in not climbing to the top of the Tower of Pisa. It might fall one day and you could at least say you climbed it while it was standing. It is a tower that most people would know about versus climbing to the bell tower of some church in a little village.

    I know that on my second trip to Poland after I knew from my first trip how to get from Warsaw to Krakow I wanted to see Auschwitz and I figured out how to get there and saw both camps. It was a experience I will always remember because I had the chance to do it. Do not pass up those chances because you might not get them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are playing and getting to be with some real Italians. Better than sitting in a hotel room or apartment. What are your plans for next weekend?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dad and Uncle Charlie for the encouragement and advice. I will keep you posted Dad on my plans for this weekend. I'm thinking a day trip on Saturday, hanging out on Sunday and planning two big trips for the following two weekends. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete