Monday, July 14, 2014

Sunday Running

There are many lists of many things to do in many cities. I've scoped out a lot of them for Top 10 everything in Rome, but one I'm currently working on is from a friend of a friend, and it's this one individuals Top 10 off the beaten path things to explore in Rome. This isn't verified by anyone, and for many of these things trip adviser doesn't have any reviews. Yesterday I hit number 8 described as such: "Statue of the so-called “Cacciatore”, in the woods just off the Via di Villa Madama (massive 1936 sculpture positioned apparently by Luigi Moretti, on axis with his landmark Casa delle Armi; overgrown and mistaken for a large tree until its public rediscovery in 2009)" That's all I was given to work with, and I knew I had my work cut out. With that one thing to find, I proceeded to look for other attractions to see in the area (I try to clear areas, of anything from reputable gelato stands to natural beauty) so that I not only know the area really well, but don't have to return for anything. Anyhow, I took off from my apartment on foot, and went first to a nature reserve on the way (it was, as with everything in this city, uphill both ways):

Last of its kind, at least on this block
First and last of its kind in the world hopefully
View from the Top. I'm headed down the hill soon to this area
I'm headed there to

So I was at the top of the hill, which was very nice and of course had to head down the hill. It was still paved with Roman or perhaps Medieval cobble stones, but it was really rocky and uneven and I wouldn't have trusted anyone but myself to navigate it safely without twisting an ankle. Made it down and knew I was near the statue, which turned out to be a relatively easy find. Hidden, but accessible if you knew where to look:


I wouldn't recommend finding this guy, who isn't visible from the road and probably doesn't get many visitors, but if you have time and an adventurous spirit, he's a good quest. I left the statue and headed for MAXXI modern art museum. Along the way, I was drawn in by the Olympic park, right nearby. I don't know if it was the gloomy weather, the flock of ravens, or the emptiness, but this place was haunted not happy.





Gone was the joy and camaraderie of the games, the experience, and the victory, only to be left behind with these cold statues and empty attractions. I've seen the photos of other Olympic parks that have been abandoned, and I can see how they would be creepy, especially if they weren't as close to major cities like this one is. They still use this park for different athletic events during the year, but yesterday it had a very spooky feel to it. I went next to the MAXXI which is a modern art museum. There were some exhibits that were really cool, and the building itself was architecturally stimulating, but boy oh boy do I hate modern art. It was a nice change of pace, and the absence of Crucifixes was refreshing (honestly, every museum in every part of Italy has 100 depictions of Jesus on the Cross. Not against it, I'm just saying these painters weren't a very original bunch) but I again wouldn't recommend this place. It made me appreciate the good art all the more. Here's the deal; I get photography, and some pieces I can get something of the artists creative process, and can at least give them A for effort. Then there's the jerks who buy a can of paint from Home Depot, paint a square of Aquamarine blue on a white wall, and all of a sudden they're artists. The whole process takes half an hour, maybe $6 and all of a sudden museums are buying it and charging 11 euro a ticket. That's BS. I left the MAXXI and walked around for a bit more:

That's a sweet playground
I wound up, intentionally, at the music hall for Rome, which conveniently holds an archaeological museum, with ruins uncovered while construction the concert space. Again, not something you have to do if you come to Rome, but if you're in the area, it's free and takes no more than 10 minutes.



I needed to meet some friends at 3, so I headed back towards the center part of town. I knew there was a bus stop nearby, so I went questing for it and stumbled across more cool stuff, that the guide books don't cover:



It's faint to see, but that's a gold Mary statue above the trees. Big shout out to Mary atop the Dome of ND
Since I suspect this post is getting long, and you're probably sick of statues, I'll skip ahead. I met some family friends between 3 and 4, it was good to see them and they brought a care package from my loving family (with Mac and Cheese!!!!!!!!) and then I hung out, planned for the weekend, went to mass, and prepared for the match. To summarize, the match was fun, Argentinians enjoyed it until the 113 minute mark and I enjoyed watching it with the real soccer fans. Observe:




That is all for now. We'll talk again soon. Be well!

1 comment:

  1. Great to get off the beaten path and make some unexpected discoveries. I'm enjoying seeing all the cute little vehicles.

    ReplyDelete