Thursday, November 13, 2014

Life After Sicily

So I returned to Rome on Sunday the 19th, where my parents met me. We spent the week together, and I got to show them Rome, Assisi and Siena, but they'll be a post about that later. This post will be about general class activities (and be mostly pictures, you're welcome) and spots we've explored during class. Tomorrow's post will be about this past weekend when I was in Verona, Bologna and Ravenna, and will be my last one for a week, as we leave Saturday for a week long trip to Campania. I've got an essay due tomorrow at dinner time, so these photos will have to do for now.  Here are the snapshots and blurbs from my adventures the past couple of weeks in and around Rome:
Trajan's Forum
Dat decoration doe 
From inside the Colosseum
Porta maggiore, point in the ancient city where four major aqueducts flowed in 
On top of Mt. Testacchio, an artificial mountain created by the Romans when they dumped broken amphorae (wine jugs) into one big pile over a couple of hundred years, those piles are just random amphorae
The ground is entirely amphorae shards 
Isola sacra Necropolis, near Ostia
Map of the artificial harbor of Portus, created by Trajan

Ara Pacis, Altar of Peace created by Augustus
Piazza Navona
A special request tonight. We have a family friend, who is very near and dear to our hearts. His daughter is having some serious health problems, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could keep her in your prayers, and pray for strength for their family as they travel this difficult road. Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sicily looks very impressive. Is there a duplicate Ara Pacis? I thought I read about one in or near Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mom, these are all photos from after Sicily when I'm back in Rome. You're right in thinking that the Ara Pacis is in Rome.

    ReplyDelete