Friday, November 28, 2014

Naples and then Benevento

Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone! I've got a lot to be thankful for including you, my readers, who keep picking up what I'm putting down and sending me love and support. So thanks! Hope you had a great day yesterday filled with food and family time. Anyhow, back to the travel log.

Day 3- Day long art history trip to Naples

We spent the third day of Campania in Naples. Naples as a city has the reputation for being the worst city in Italy. It's known to be the seat of the mafia, the dirtiest, most dangerous, and least welcoming to tourists. While they may deny this, I think the other Italians dislike for Naples dates way back to the ancient days. Naples was founded as a Greek colony and was one of the centers of Greek culture and all things Greece for a long time. The Italians also speak poorly of Southern Italy, which was also Greek for a long time. Could it be possible that stereotypes die hard? I mean, the Northern US still considers the Southern US to be less intelligent (we're making huge generalizations, work with me here) and the South still considers those of us in the North to be Yankees, and this is long after the Civil War. My theory is that the negativity towards Naples and Southern Italy are Roman hold overs from when Rome and Greece were still at each others throats. Anyhow, I went to Naples expecting to be held at knifepoint.

This didn't happen. This could be because I'm 6'3 and not worth the trouble, or maybe it was too cold for the mafia to come outside, but I loved Naples. The streets were quaint and had lots to see, the food was superior to anything I've had so far in Italy (shocking, I know) and there seemed to be a generally pleasant atmosphere. For class, we spent the whole day with the Art History Professor going to see the relevant art sites in Naples, which are numerous and extensive. Here's the photos:

Colors are hard (yes I get that red and black are the colors on the cards, but still) 
That's the second creepy circular statue thing on this trip
Casual Carvaggio
Castle from the days where Naples was a major medieval naval port
Huge mall, under construction like everything else in Italy
Former imperial palace
Either die an emperor or live long enough to become a pastry shop
My favorite comedien 
So that's where it is
The definition of small dog syndrome-Napoleon Boniparte
Ivory
Vesuvius. Not bad, for modern art
This dude was in every panel of the painting, and his forehead got bigger in every panel
Day Four-
We traveled outside of the bay of Naples on day four to Beneventum, an ancient town up in the mountains to the East. It was ok, the usual, museum, church, Roman stuff, leave town. Truth be told, the town didn't seem to be worth the visit and I would have preferred an extra day elsewhere in Campania, but I'm not in charge, so I just went along for the ride.
Medieval Armor
Either a hedgehog or campfire in the middle
Smiley
Triumphal arch for building a road
Tomorrow, Pompeii!! Talk to you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ques re photo from Naples, just below the shopping ctr. under constr: Is this Colonnade at the water's edge (low tide) or was there enough rain to make this a muddy field?
    Also, who is the dude in the picture w/Mary? He looks like a Pharyngi (sp?) from Star Wars!

    ReplyDelete