Monday, June 9, 2014

Travel Day

The travel from Albania to Greece was somewhat eventful, and it produced some pictures which you may enjoy. I happened to have a friend on the ferry from Albania to Corfu (it's a small world and I'm always making connections) so we chatted on the ride over. Here are those photos:



The trouble began when I landed on Corfu. I was the last one through customs (perks of being an American, don't worry I get karma pays me back later, just keep reading) and found the hotel alright. I, being a half way decent Catholic, thought that I would go explore the island in search of the Catholic church, so that Sunday morning I could attend mass before flying to Rome. I proceed to get lost (that makes two countries I've gotten lost in looking for churches, don't worry that count will increase) but in the process I took photos of the island.



I eventually found said church and returned to the hotel after chowing down on fresh calamari and french fries. I discovered via the internet that mass began at 10:30 on Sunday mornings, presenting me with a schedule issue, as my flight was set to take off at 1:10. If mass ended at 11:30, I determined I could return to the hotel, grab my bags, and make the airport by noon, giving me plenty of time to get through the tiny airport. This plan went off without a hitch; I packed up, walked the mile to mass and grabbed a morning photo of the harbor.

The church was fairly small, and remained empty till about 10 minutes before mass. I noticed some strange aspects to this church though. The first was an obnoxious tourist with a huge camera taking photos of literally everything. Next there were three children wearing white robes, who were joined by three more closer to mass time. I thought it strange that they used so many altar servers, but I thought that was the Greek way. The next individual threw off this perception. A little man wearing a pink skull cap entered the church, went to the altar, bowed and went to the sacristy. For those playing along, you realised what I soon found out: that the Bishop of Corfu had just entered the church and I was at a First Communion Mass. I gave it an hour, and when I realized I wasn't going to make both Communion and my flight, I took off, but not before grabbing this photo of the Bishop:
I am usually opposed to photos during mass, but I'm going to make an exception on this trip. When I meet the Pope, you best believe I'm taking a photo. Anyhow, I rushed off to the airport, only to be told that my two bags were two heavy, and that I would need to pay 100 euros to fly. This is no bueno, and I was in a pickle until one of the desk clerks realized I was an American. She changed her tone when she realized I play for the Stars and Stripes, worked some things on the computer, and found a way to fly one of my bags for free, so that I only paid 50 euros. I arrived in Rome, was picked up by the taxi my dad bought for me and had the drive to the apartment where I'm staying. I checked in, unpacked and went looking for food and a church (still hadn't received Communion). I upped my cllfc (country lost looking for church) count to three, as despite Rome having an infinite number of churches, I couldn't find a single one (except the Vatican, but I was in no mood to get suited up for a Vatican City mass). I eventually found one, received Communion, bought pizza and gelatto, got lost returning to my apartment, finally found it again, and then showered and prepared for work today. I leave you with this delightful photo of my leg, comparing three weeks in the sun and three weeks covered by socks.
Rocking the Mediterranean Tan


3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Rome safely. From your previous post, I thought that one of your bags got thrown into the sea on the takeoff or that some gypsies offered (and you accepted) to take the ride of your life. But if the only major hurdles you encountered were having to pay an additional 50 Euros and getting lost in Sarenda, Rome and on Corfu, you are still way ahead of the travel gremlins when you consider all of the places that you have been. I will suggest how to rectify the getting lost issue in a private e-mail.

    Looking forward to hearing about your first day at the Vatican Museums.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are in Rome...is that the Catholic church in the Bouganville square??? I did not remember it was small??? It is in fact a cathedral...
    Keep strong against the Italian weather...we will have a storm at the weekend and eat lots of gelato...works very well!!! Love! E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carry your apartment address with you at all times so you can show it should you stop and ask for directions. Also, find a landmark in your neighborhood that will be an easy point of reference.

    ReplyDelete