Wednesday, June 4, 2014

View of the Castle and More Visitors

So this is the view of the castle where we work. I'm standing on the upper battlements, looking back at the tower. This was where Ugolini worked and lived (he rebuilt the tower first) during his archaeological research in the 40s. It's a cramped space, but the three ND students work outside on the lower level during the day, freeing up some space, but facing the heat and bird projectiles (I got pooped on today by one of the swallows). We've finished all 7500 shells, and been moved first to fresco and now on to mortar. It's pretty cool to be allowed to analyze and play with the tiles that made up floors and murals in the ancient houses, and we're seeing some pretty neat colors and designs. This experience has really been hands on, an aspect that I  have grown to appreciate. Professor Hernandez is meticulous; he expects every object, from the biggest chunk of marble to the smallest piece of bronze to be catalogued, with weight, size and description provided. This approach can be tedious, especially when we had to look at hundreds of identical iron nails, but it's going to produce an excellent work and really thorough scholarship, and we as students are right in the thick of it.

We've had one more member join our team, and a new family come to Tani's to stay. Danny, who's last name I can't remember, arrived yesterday from Britain. He will be here till Monday, and will act as an architectural conservature, basically working to preserve as much of the site as possible. He's an older gent, but he's already regalled us with some enjoyable stories. Two older tourists have arrived at Tani's on vacation. Turns out they are from Denmark, and they perked up when I told them that my mother still has family on Bornholm. The husband is extremely interested in Cicero, so he asked for a Roman history lesson, which I provided to the best of my ability and in return he bought me a beer. While my professors might not be thrilled to learn I'm exchanging my academic knowledge for alcohol, it was really a thrill to encounter an individual who ate up the soap opera that is the transition from Republic to Principate, and who shared my love for the Classics. Even in a small bar in a European country, Classics unites people across nationalities. Never a dull day in Albania!

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for pictures of Butrint, the site we work at. We're staying after work for a private tour of the site, lead by Professor Hernandez himself. Only my parents will be allowed to see some of the photos, as not everything is public knowledge yet, but what I can share with my readers, I will. Love to you all.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a younger gent was telling stories as well. I'm sure you didn't exaggerate at all when you were expounding on the Roman history.

    Hope your last couple of days in Butrint go well and are enjoyable.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep in mind that most of your readers don't know Republic from Principate, so talk to us in terms we can understand. That being said, it's wonderful to meet people from around the world who share our interests and are open to exchange of information and knowledge. Good for you, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the swallow wanted to give you a "parting" gift before you "fly the coop!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) It's good luck to get pooped on by a bird!
    2) I am so proud of your comma usage.

    ReplyDelete